Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week 3: Famous Last Words

Well, another week is coming to a close. What happened this week? Hmm..

I started my practicum at Calm Waters in OKC and I LOVE IT! Calm Waters is a nonprofit organization that provides free grief and divorce support groups for children ages 3-18 and their parents. The work being done there is really wonderful and the people who run Calm Waters are kind, dedicated, and seriously incredible! That place functions like a large organization, but is run by only 4 employees!! Anyway, I was given my group assignments and found out that I will be facilitating the children 1 group (ages 3-5) on Mondays for the grief session and the children 3 group (ages 8-11) on Tuesdays for the divorce session. I was really nervous for our first night of groups because i'd never facilitated before and in all honesty, i'm awkward when i'm with a bunch of children that I have a professional relationship with. I am glad that I have to work with these tiny humans because they will teach me how to have patience, how to address problems with very young children, and how to connect with them professionally (because I've never had to do that before). The hardest part of the first night with the children 1 group was probably not picking them up. They are so sweet and adorable! My inner-mom wants to pick them all up and chase them around.

My awkward selfie in front of Calm Waters OKC
Photo from 8/25/14

Also, week 2 of class went really well and I finished my week off by going out to Campus Corner and visiting Louie's Too and Seven 47 with my roommate, boyfriend, and good friends. We danced and goofed around and had just an overall wonderful time. I'd never gone out to campus corner for drinks and dancing before, and was not disappointed. It was a fun, upbeat atmosphere where everyone was just having a good time. Everyone was friendly and polite, we all hugged and told jokes, it was great! Then, we walked across campus and hung out for a little bit before going home for a much-needed night of sleep. 

Last, but DEFINITELY not least... FOOTBALL SEASON STARTED!!!!! It's football time in OOOOKLAHOMA! We played Louisiana Tech here at OU and won (of course)! The whole town of Norman was alive like it can only be on game-day. There were so many people and cheering and crimson & cream shirts! The Sooner Spirit was alive and well! I watched the game at Buffalo Wild Wings with my roommate and boyfriend. We had some yummy snackage and cheered and chanted along with the rest of the crowd. I get really into the game and was staring something fierce at the projection of the game, so much so that I totally ignored my boyfriend for the whole first half and felt like a total dork afterwards. I love Oklahoma football and am just determined to have a great semester. BOOMER SOONER!

The Sooner Schooner being pulled by Boomer and Sooner
Photo by John Silks on September 15, 2007
Retrieved from Wikipedia 

No comments:

Post a Comment