Monday, August 11, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

Food and Culture
The first project I looked at was Autumn's Indian Scrapbook where she described stories, travel experiences, and local cuisine. She also shared two recipes and gave great descriptions of culture and events. I also really enjoyed her format and pictures. The website was attractive, easy to understand, and full of good content. Her writing was vivid and I just felt like the whole project flowed well together and integrated something i'm very interested in: cooking. I love learning how to cook new things and it's cool to read about the significance of food and the role it plays in people's lives.

Tattoos
The second storybook I perused was Melissa B's project titled "Yama's Tattoo Parlor." Right away I was interested because I love tattoos. I love learning about them, seeing them, and getting them. I have 3 currently with plans to get many more, so I instantly clicked the link, curious as to how tattoos would relate to the course content. 
I was pleasantly surprised. It is narrated by Yama, the god of death who has taken a break from ruling the underworld to run a tattoo parlor that specializes in Mehndi tattoos but also offers typical spa services (nails, massages, and hair styling being listed as a few). The writing was a little silly, but I think it worked well. I like to imagine the god of death as being somewhat humorous (think Hades in the Disney Film "Hercules"). 
The navigation was easy and the colors went well together. I liked the simplicity of the page that contrasted with the patterned background. I think i will keep my storybook pretty but simple as well. I also liked the alliteration in the section titles- "Taraka's Tale," "Damayanti's Drama," and "Hidimba's History."
Her storybook can be found Here!

Voice of the Ganges 
The last storybook I chose was Ganga the River Goddess. The name intrigued me because I like learning about gods and goddesses from different places and times, plus I love the water. If any element matched me, I think it would be water. So, naturally, a storybook about a goddess of the river (i.e. water) was right up my alley. 
The story is told from the point of view of Ganga and the author did a great job of writing in a style that exuded wisdom and elegance which I felt matched the goddess character quite well. I liked the color scheme too, but felt that the overall appearance of the site could be improved. 
Learning about Ganga was interesting and has opened my eyes to possibly exploring a goddess myself. Hmm...

1 comment:

  1. You picked some great Storybooks to look at, Bria! One of the things I like best about this class is that the Storybooks are so different from each other and they make a really lasting impression so that I remember them for literally years after the class is over. And of course every semester is so exciting because of the new Storybooks people come up with! :-)

    ReplyDelete