Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Week 14 Famous Last Words

If I had to describe this week in three words they would be: Cold, Busy, and Happy. It's been a good week full of fun, but it has definitely been jam-packed with stuff I have had/have to do. 

Monday was wonderful because it was a SNOW DAY! I woke up to big fluffy flakes floating gently to the ground. I love snow. It's so beautiful and exciting! Maybe I feel this way because I grew up in Texas where it doesn't really snow; at most, ice falls in sheets and covers the ground making travel and fun in the snow nearly impossible. Plus, in my entire life of living in Texas I only had a "white Christmas" once even though I dreamed about it every year while Christmas music played in my head. So, when I opened my front door and saw the snow I squealed and took a bunch of pictures. I spent the day at home with my boyfriend and roommate working on homework, drinking cocoa, and relaxing by the roaring fire. It was absolutely wonderful and really served to put me in the holiday spirit. I have to admit, for the first time ever, I put my Christmas decorations up early. Judge me if you want, but I love love love the entire Christmas season. Everyone just seems to try harder to be nicer and the overall feel of everything is more cheery. Plus, I am a big fan of scarves so cold weather is perfect for me because otherwise I get too hot to wear them. 

BooBoo Kitty Layin by the Fire 

Me and my Roommate, Amber, Watching the Snow Fall

Lily LOVES the Snow!

I got all Bundled up to go out into the Snow 

Tuesday I was at my practicum site for 9 hours getting supplies together for Calm Waters' big holiday event on Wednesday called Creating New Traditions. It is an event that is open to the public and is geared toward families who are about to enter their first holiday season without a loved one. The adults have a guest speaker who talks about the difficulties of going through the holidays after the loss of someone close to them and the children get to go into a group with other kids their age and learn about having the holidays without that person while also doing lots of fun crafts. It's much less intense than our normal grief groups and focuses on teaching families that they don't have to try to do things the way they did before their person died. Things are different, and that may mean different holiday activities which is okay. I'm really excited for this event, but preparing for it was hectic to say the least.

Here's a little more information about Creating New Traditions from The Calm Waters Website

Today,Wednesday, started off kind of crazy because my cat fell in the toilet (I know, what a dork right?) causing me to be late to my first class. Thankfully, my professor is super awesome. I've had her 3 different times for three different classes and she is always my favorite. Anyway, I have class 8:30-4:20 (plus a huge social work research methods presentation that's been stressing me out for weeks) and immediately afterward my fellow social work student Michelle and I have to immediately head to OKC so we can help set up for the event and work it. It's going to be a long, but wonderful evening to follow a lovely day.  

Thursday will be my rest day. I don't have class or practicum so I will be spending the day working on projects that will be due soon as well as planning a little get-together for the last week of class. I'm going to hold a dinner, drinks, and crafts event at my apartment for my friends and I to hang out, eat, drink (responsibly of course), and do Christmas/Holiday-themed crafts while listening to Christmas music and playing some fun games. I think it will be lots of fun!

Christmas Tree Ornament by Kris de Curtis

Friday I have practicum 8;30-12:30 and afterward will get on the road and drive home to Texas for a friend from high school's wedding. I'm very excited for her, but not looking forward to helping Mom with the catering.

Enough of that, I've blathered on long enough. I hope y'all had a great week and I hope your next is absolutely fantastic! Stay positive and warm!

OH ALSO, quick afterthought: I make wreaths! Each one is specialized and individualized to be whatever you want it to be! Plus, I just learned how to put lights (that use a battery pack) in the wreaths! So, if you want one, just message me here and I will give you my email so we can talk about what you want. I usually only charge $10 per wreath, unless you want a larger size or some specific costly addition.

Here are some examples of wreaths i've made this year
Collage created using Pic Monkey

1 comment:

  1. Bria, your posts are SO MUCH FUN, and I need to put a note in the class announcements about these wreaths. Plus, I know there is someone in class who has an Etsy shop with great things she makes and, darnit, I cannot remember who it is! But anyway, this is great - I will put this in the announcements tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete