Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Week 12 Essay: Reading Unit Assessment

                For this week’s reading I chose the Bengal Folktales unit because I wanted to continue with the fairy tale theme that I started with last week. Plus, I had never previously heard of or had experience with any tales that come from Bengal. I really enjoyed this week’s reading because yes, it was fairy tale/folktale stories but they were strange and dark. They featured themes of violent justice, selfishness, betrayal, jealousy, revenge, death, and ghosts. It was a fun change and a perfect follow up to the week of Halloween! Plus, I’m into dark tales that teach lessons. I've read all of the Grimm’s Fairy Tales and absolutely loved them! These reminded me of those fairy tales because of their macabre form of justice and the gory and/or violent deeds of men who are influenced by a sin or an evil of sorts. The only thing that bothered me about this week’s readings was that there were multiple stories featuring ghosts that all had very similar plots/story lines. It felt a little tiring to read multiple stories that were all about the same thing. I would suggest getting rid of “The Ghostly Wife” if you can find another Bengal folktale to replace it in the unit. It is the least interesting of the 3 stories featuring ghosts, manipulation, and impersonation. Ghosts in these tales do interest me though because they seem to be bound and determined to get a new chance at life. They yearn to be alive again, which unlike a lot of western fairy tales, suggests that they are conscious of their death and are intelligent spirits. We have a lot of haunting stories where the ghosts are essentially on a loop, replaying parts of their life or death over and over again. When they do actively haunt a person it’s usually because they don’t understand why they are in their house or something and they feel like the person is intruding on their lives. They want them out just like I would want some stranger out of my house. These ghosts though realize they are dead and decide to take on the life of someone else at the cost of that actual person’s livelihood. Anyway, “The Ghostly Wife” is a relatively boring story in comparison to “The Ghostly Brahman” and “The Ghost who was Afraid of Being Bagged.” The other two have plot twists that I did not expect, but really enjoyed. I also wasn't a fan of “The Story of a Brahmadaitya” but that was probably because it was a really long story that was in the middle of a bunch of shorter stories. The shorter stories were more fun to read because they were short enough to not get boring or monotonous. I felt like reading that story was a bit of a trek in comparison to all of the other stories.

Medieval Ghost by Gallowglass


Overall, I really enjoyed this unit and plan to keep the print-outs I made of it to read them again. You picked some really awesome stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment