Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Storytelling for Week 5: Mother and Son

Garuda's Story as Told on Facebook 

Belur Garuda - Photo by Philip Larson(2009)
Obtained through Wikimedia Commons

Vinata, Status 1

Today, my husband gave me and Kadru each a seed that he said would bless us with sons! I'm so incredibly excited! -Eating Seeds w/ Kadru

-Vinata adds new life event to her timeline: guess who's pregnant!-

-Karuda adds new life event to her timeline: finally pregnant!-

Vinata, Status 2

Today Karuda gave birth to 1,000 eggs! I cannot believe it! I hope I will have lots of beautiful sons...

Vinata, Status 3

Today I laid 2 eggs. I was saddened by the small amount, but goodness! I'm in love with them  already! 

Vinata, Status 4

Okay, I know I should be happy for Karuda, but it's been 500 years and all of her eggs have hatched and grown into baby Nagas and neither of mine have even twitched! What should I do?

Vinata, Status 5

I got impatient... I opened up one of my eggs.. I know! I know! But I couldn't resist! Do you know what happened? I found my beautiful son, not completely developed but stunning and strong already and he told me not to open the other egg or mess with it for another 500 years. That's not even the weird part.. immediately afterward he flew up into the sky and became the charioteer for Surya the sun! I'm so proud of my little Aruna! -Feeling emotional

Vinata, Status 6

Ugh! Karuda thinks sooo much better than me just because she has more sons! We made a bet today and I lost :( now I have to be Karuda's slave forever! I just know she cheated! Oh what have I done? -Feeling defeated

Vinata, Status 7

Today my second son was FINALLY born! Even though i'm doomed to slavery, I love that my son Garuda is finally with me. He is the most beautiful giant eagle man! Seeing his face makes this awful labor a little more bearable, though I wish he didn't have to see me like this. -Feeling peaceful

-Garuda joins Facebook -

Garuda, Entry 1

I'm getting really concerned about Mom... I think we might need to talk, because she is the only one around here who ever does anything around the house and Karuda and her sons just taunt her and live in luxury!

Garuda, Entry 2

So, as it turns out Karuda tricked my mom into losing a bet and now she's keeping her as her slave! It's absolutely unacceptable! I tried to buy Mom's freedom, but Karuda said no! She will only exchange Mom's freedom if I bring her the cup of amrita from Indra's palace so that she may become immortal. Geez. -Feeling pissed off 

Garuda, Entry 3

Well, finally done dealing with my awkward dad. Now on to Indra's heaven!

Garuda, Entry 4

So, I asked Indra if I could borrow his amrita but he totally freaked out and called all of his guards and fighters on me! What a jerk! At least he didn't know what I can do... I shrunk down and snuck into Indra's room and snagged the whole cup! Haha, I cannot wait to free Mom! -Feeling confident at Indra's Heaven

Garuda, Entry 5

I'm almost home, wish me luck! 

Garuda, Entry 6

Check this out everyone! While I was flying home Narayana visited me and granted me the gift of immortality! I have now pledged to be Narayana's mount whenever needed! -Feeling blessed

-Garuda and Narayana are in a complicated relationship-

-Vinata likes this-


Garuda, Entry 7

Indra tried to kill me! Thank Brahma for Narayana's gift; instead of the lightning bolt killing me, it gave me knowledge of all that ever was, is, and will be! It's okay though, Indra and I talked it out and he's on my team now. -Feeling enlightened

Garuda, Entry 8

Great news everybody! I returned home to Karuda and her goons lazily lounging about and approached with the amrita in hand. Karuda's mouth practically watered at the sight and she rushed towards me. She ordered me to give it to her, but I got clever and reminded her that this amrita was sacred and that she should probably wash her hands before taking from the cup. She agreed foolishly and set my mother free before darting to the bathroom. Just then, Indra swooped in and grabbed the cup before dashing out the door. - Feeling awesome with Vinata

-Vinata likes this-

Vinata, Entry 8

Finally I am free to live my life in happiness with my husband and my two wonderful sons! I love you guys! -Feeling thankful 


Author's Note:
I chose to tell Garuda's story because it was fun and ended on a positive note. I also love how strong the bond is between Garuda and Vinata even though he has barely gotten to truly know his mother. As for the style, I just kind of wanted to try something new so I gave the Facebook format a try. I think it makes the story easier to read because it is broken up, informal, and the entries are short, sweet, and to-the-point. The original story is more in-depth and can be found in William Buck's 1976 retelling of the Ramayana, Ramayana: King Rama's Way

5 comments:

  1. Hello Bria,
    Finally a positive story! I've been noticing that a lot of stories in the unit are kind of depressing. I'm glad you gave such a positive feel to your story. I like how you broke it up to different entries. I especially like the happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story--as well I should, since I wrote about the same thing, haha. But our formats were completely different, and it definitely gives a different feel to the tale. Yours seemed more modern simply because of the format, and is told in a way that is very relatable. You were able to get across emotions and events in an informal and informative style. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey good morning Bria,
    I really enjoyed your story. I found the Facebook posting style to be a fun new way to tell a story. It would have never occurred to me. I feel as though it gave you an opportunity to truly express what the characters was emotionally experiencing, I.E "Felling Enlightened." I hope to read more of your stories in the future and see what novel way in which you tell it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very creative story. I like the facebook-status style of it. It sort of reads like a diary, but more modern. It's also cool how you added other little things, like "is pregnant", "joined facebook". Very cute. You also managed to tell the story well and get through a lot of information in this style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bria,

    Great job on your story telling post! This was one of the most creative posts i've seen in this class. I like how it's not exactly a diary but also not a Tumblr like feel. This made reading your post so much more fun. I'm glad that this post had a happy ending and you did convey a lot of information even though it was in short little blurbs. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete